Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Quest for Jumper's Ass

You don't always know what you are searching for...you think you do though. I ate too little, did marathon sessions on the treadmill, worked out with way too much weight (dead lifting and squatting your own weight and beyond is heady, but trust me it wears you out), countless hours in gyms, on tracks, stair climbers and treadmills.
Then you hear it innocently your friend Gretchen says at The Manhattan Beach Six Man Volleyball Tournament "We'll beat that team, they all have flat asses. Everyone on our team has Jumper's Ass".
The heavens open up, the angels sing and I realize that is what I have always wanted a small, firm, solid, separated from my thigh Jumpers Ass. Who knew? The quest begins...
It is a lot of work. More one legged squats than you ever think you can do...legs squat front,leg bent back squats, full squats,Good Mornings,Romanian Dead lifts, swinging ball squats, cables and squats...squats til you can't think clearly. I slowly begin to notice a difference (although since I look at my behind at least ten times a day for changes obviously the change seems even slower). I am on the right path now and I will continue to work harder than I care to because I want Jumper's Ass.
A few great things have come out of my hard work. I injured my ribs running (and falling flat on my face) and I broke a toe (a door got in my way as I rushed into the bathroom after I overslept). I couldn't run for a month...but because I kept to Gretchen's squat schedule (and I do apologize Gretch for all the times I questioned your friendship and humanity) and added more squats on my own time. When I started running last Sunday...I ran a fast 2.42 miles and I was not breathless when I finished my run. I could have run further, but I promised myself and my friends that I will learn to slow down (more about this later). I also spent more time enjoying friends,attending family functions and meeting new people.
So I am committed to exercise, clumsy and searching. I am going to stay committed to the Quest for Jumper's Ass, train for the Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair 10K , golf and keep enjoying this process...of being fit.
I am going to use the real first names of my fantastic friends and family in this blog. I won't give any personal info unless they let me share it with you. The quest for staying fit, working full time, having a social life and enjoying life is time consuming but life and health are intertwined. Let the fun begin....

No comments:

Post a Comment