Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Alice Waters or eating like you live here....

I love food...my mother was in the vanguard of the Clean eating movement...eating locally,Farmer's Markets, no processed food that was the way I was fed at home. I envied all my friends who had cookie jars with processed cookies inside and Ding Dongs in their pantry. I have grown up enough to realize my mother was right about making healthy food choices.
I have grown up believing in the philosophy of Alice Waters, Eat simple, eat local and clean. Sometimes you just need some chocolate though. These brownies are really rich. dense and a little "mature" the dark chocolate crowd will love them. I prefer them as the base for a brownie sundae with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce and peanuts.
Brownie LA
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (no substitutes the real stuff)
5 ounces Scharffen Berger unsweetened 99% dark Cacao
2 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup crushed hazelnuts or pecans (I omit this and use 1/2 cup Traders Joe's
Organic creamy peanut butter)
If you are a NO NUTS person...add 1/4 of all purpose flour and forget the nuts. Buy the best baking flour you can, lots of flours are full of gluten and preservatives for longer shelf life not for better taste!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease 8 x 8 glass baking pan
Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over hot water and allow to cool slightly. Add the beaten eggs (by hand,not with a hand mixer). Add the beaten eggs, followed by the sugar and flour. Mix together quickly, but gently then add the nut mixture. Pour into the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. Crisp on top,pulling away from the sides, and soft inside.
Allow to cool in pan @20 minutes before turning out and cutting into squares.
I brought brownies,ice cream,caramel sauce to Sunday dinner and everyone enjoyed the effort.
It is just as easy to cook well with good ingredients than to settle for packaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment